WinWedge Data Collection Software
To get a quote or place an order:
WinWedge Data Collection Software
Standard and Professional
Data collection software for serial devices, including meters, balances, scales or any RS232 instrument. WinWedge captures data directly to Excel, Access or any Windows application or web page. It can even send commands out a COM port so you can control your device through hot keys, buttons, or DDE.
WinWedge easily collects data from balances, gages, meters, sensors, micrometers, barcode scanners, GPS, PLCs, analyzers and other measuring devices and laboratory instruments. It can send the data directly into any Windows program, including Excel spreadsheets, Access databases, LIMS and MMIs, or medical databases!
WinWedge is designed to be highly flexible and can easily parse, filter and format your device data to fit your project’s requirements. It can also transmit prompts or commands through the serial port to control your instruments. Think of WinWedge as an easily customizable serial I/O device driver.
Winwedge comes in both Professional and Standard versions.
The Standard Edition is the perfect tool for interfacing simple devices such as balances, scales, barcode scanners, pH meters, measuring instruments, calipers, gauges, GPS receivers, etc. directly to other Windows programs running on the same workstation as WinWedge.
WinWedge Standard is designed as a simple program for interfacing most typical RS232 (serial) devices to a PC. It has two modes for passing incoming serial data directly to other programs: a “Keystroke Mode” where incoming data is passed to other programs as Keystrokes, and a “DDE Server Mode” that passes data to other programs using Dynamic Data Exchange. The Standard Edition has basic parsing and filtering capabilities for dealing with either fixed length or delimited data records. It also has Hot Keys that you can define for sending prompts or commands out a serial port to a device simply by pressing a hot key on your keyboard as well as a full character translation table for translating individual characters to either specific keystrokes or to other characters. WinWedge Standard can also be controlled using Dynamic Data Exchange. The DDE capabilities allow you to do things like use simple macros in Excel to perform fully bi-directional serial I/O functions.
Features of WinWedge Standard
- Supports all COM ports. Install on up to 16 serial ports on a PC for data collection from many devices simultaneously.
- Data Transfer as Keystrokes directly into any other application program.
- Data Transfer by DDE to any Windows application. Includes an advanced set of DDE commands that allow other Windows applications to take complete control of all Wedge functions, including serial output functions. The DDE command set allows you to create extremely powerful device control interfaces from within any other program that supports DDE, e.g. Excel, Access, etc.
- Basic Data Parsing Capabilities allow you to split incoming data into fields. Input only data you need and ignore the rest.
- A Powerful Serial Data Analyzer feature allows you to preview serial data and debug all serial communications problems.
- Data Filtering Capabilities let you selectively filter out non-numeric characters from any field in your input data or ignore specific fields altogether. The Professional versions have additional advanced filtering options.
- Pre-Transfer Translation Tables. Translate incoming ASCII characters to other characters or to specific PC keystrokes.
- Keystroke Macro Insertion. Add additional keystrokes or keystroke macros before, after, or within your serial input data. Keystroke macros allow you to control where and how serial data appears in the target application program in Keystroke Mode.
- Automatic Date and Time Stamping. Place date and time stamps directly in your serial input data.
- Up To 20 Button Controlled Output Strings. Program buttons to either send data strings out the serial port or lower the PC’s DTR line whenever the button is clicked. Use the Output Buttons to send prompt strings, or other control data, to your serial devices.
- Automatic Data Acknowledgment feature sends a string back to the serial device after each data record has been received.
- Timed Automatic Prompting. Have the Wedge automatically transmit prompt strings or commands at regular timed intervals.
- Fully Selectable Communications Parameters. 110-115,200 baud; 5,6,7 or 8 data bits; 1 or 2 stop bits; EVEN, ODD, MARK, SPACE or NO parity.
- Hardware and Software Flow Control. Selectable input and output buffer sizes from 128 bytes to 32K. Support for new high speed 16550 UARTs.
- 3.5.1 (released September 22, 2015) Fixed minor timing issue with the RecordNumber DDE Item updating after DDE command is sent, and fixed minor cosmetic issues
- 3.5.0 (released March 13, 2015) Added COM-File and updated Keystrokes Mode to allow sending data into remote sessions, citrix, and DOS applications
- 3.4.3 (released May 22, 2013) Windows 7 Keystroke issue
WinWedge Pro is a highly advanced set of applications that all work together to get data from practically any type of data source (RS232, RS485, some USB, TCP/IP or Disk File Data) directly into any application program or web application running on a stand-alone PC or across any TCP/IP network – including Ethernet or the Internet.
The Professional Edition is sold as a bundle that includes TCPWedge, TCP/Com, COM-File, TCP-File, and FileWedge… in addition to the advanced features of WinWedge Pro. This is one of the most powerful data acquisition toolsets available!
The Professional Edition has a more advanced data parser that allows you to parse, filter and format more complex data from more sophisticated devices than the Standard Edition of WinWedge. Some of the advanced features of the parser are the ability to work with raw binary or hex data, the ability to apply math expressions to individual data fields in a stream of data for the purpose of scaling the data or converting units (i.e. convert inches to millimeters, grams to ounces, etc.). WinWedge Pro also adds a number of advanced capabilities to the Standard Edition including a “Log to Disk Mode” that allows you to use it as an advanced serial data logger. You can also define format expressions in WinWedge Pro that allow you to do things like force a specific number of decimal places in numeric values or force data to contain an exact number or sequence of characters.
The Professional Edition also has the ability to send or receive RS232 serial data across a TCP/IP network using two additional programs called TCP-Wedge and TCP-Com. TCP-Com is designed to expose a RS232 serial port to a TCP/IP port on a network and TCP-Wedge is exactly the same as WinWedge Pro except that it inputs data from a TCP/IP port instead of an RS232 serial port. With TCP-Com and TCP-Wedge, you could do things like connect a RS232 serial device to the serial port on one PC and then use TCP-Wedge to input data from that serial device directly into a program running on another PC somewhere in either the same network or across the Internet. For example, you could have a GPS receiver or a scale sending data into the serial port on a PC in New Zealand and then input the data from the device across the Internet directly into a spreadsheet running on a PC in Canada.
In addition to the above, WinWedge Pro also comes with a program called File-Wedge that does the same thing as WinWedge and TCP-Wedge except that it inputs data from a disk file. For example, you could use File-Wedge to read data from a disk file and then feed that data directly into a database or web-based application as keystrokes or using DDE. You can think of File-Wedge as a shoe horn for getting data that exists in a disk file into some other program where you would normally have to type the data in – without having to actually type anything. File Wedge would do all the typing for you.
Features of WinWedge Professional
* Includes all features of the Standard Edition plus these advanced features
- Extended support for 2-way I/O to give you more options for controlling serial devices.
- Supports up to 99 com ports simultaneously.
- Support for any serial data including Binary, Hexadecimal and Octal as well as ASCII.
- Maximum field lengths up to 64K (vs. 256 bytes in WinWedge).
- 30 powerful math and string functions including scaling, conversions, arithmetic and logical operators.
- Sophisticated data parsing, filtering and formatting of any type or structure of data even very sophisticated data.
- Virtual Instrument Mode to simulate data from any device.
- Hot-Key activated output strings and Hot Key control of all WinWedge Pro features.
- Assign multiple actions to a single Hot Key keystroke.
- A Pre-Input Character Translation table that can be used to simplify complex input data record structures.
- More advanced data filtering options.
- Expanded DDE support provides more precise control over serial I/O functions directly from within other Windows applications.
- An optional Disk File Logging mode. Use it to log serial or TCP/IP data to a disk file in the background.
- 4.0.4 (released September 22, 2015) Fixed minor timing issue with the RecordNumber DDE Item updating after DDE command is sent, updated Keystrokes Mode to allow sending data into remote sessions, citrix, and DOS applications, and fixed minor cosmetic issues
- 4.0.2 (released January 12, 2012) Minor bug fix
WinWedge can be used to collect data from, and control, any serial device. The following is a list of just some of the many instruments that WinWedge can communicate with.
- Auto ID Equipment
- Bar Code Scanners
- Bore Gauges
- Bubble Surfactometers*
- Cash Handling Machines*
- Check Weighers
- CMMs* (coordinate measuring machines)
- Coin Counters*
- Communications Equip.*
- Conductivity Meters
- Currency Counters*
- Data Loggers*
- Electronic Indicators
- Ethernet-Based Data *
- Flow Meters
- Friction Peel Testers*
- Force Gauges
- GPS Receivers
- Hardness Testers
- Ion Meters
- Internet-Based Data*
- Laboratory Instruments*
- Lead Testers
- Magnetic Stripe Readers
- Measuring Tools
- Medical Devices*
- Moisture Analyzers*
- Motor Controllers*
- Particle Counters
- Plate Readers
- PBX Systems*
- pH Meters*
- Pressure Gauges
- Process Control Sensors
- Quality Control Instruments
- Radiation Counters
- RFID Equipment*
- RS232 output devices
- Telephone Systems*
- Temperature Sensors
- TCP/IP- Based Data*
- Tensile Machine
- Thickness Gauges
…….and many, many more…
Use any RS232, RS485 or TCP/IP device and many USB devices.
*These devices may require the WinWedge Professional version